Thursday, December 23, 2010

shine on.

I love to combine unconventional materials with paper. Every year, I send a hand-made card to my clients for my design business. By hand-made, I don't mean rubber-stamping and glitter. This year, however, there was a glue-gun involved. And round mirrors. And gold paper. Really, what's not to love about that combination? If you're looking for a way to add interest to your cards, sometimes it's as simple as a trip to the craft or hardware store... and looking at everyday things with a fresh pair of eyes.

Truth be told, I spend months thinking about my cards, and then another month putting them together. They're a labor of love, and I take great pride in them and in what they stand for. You see, every year in lieu of a client gift that either gets consumed (can you say chocolate, cheap wine, cheese and empty calories?) or tossed, I give a donation to a charity on my clients' behalf. For the past two years, this has been Highland Park Community Outreach in Detroit. They provide free programs and support to kids in an impoverished neighborhood of Detroit, and offer free sports camps and clinics to teach teamwork and other skills. They truly shine in a place where there seems to be little hope, and bring joy and truth to the lives of many kids!

This Christmas and in the year ahead, may you shine in your own world as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment